Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Dennen Frazier's Top 5 Reasons to Buy a Vintage T-shirt

Well, here I am writing on the blog while I should be studying... Oh well. But in my defense, I just happened to find the best eBay store in the universe and wanted to share it with everyone! Click here to go there!
I'll be honest, I love vintage t-shirts. Here are Dennen Frazier's Top 5 reasons to buy vintage t-shirts:

1 - The smooth feel. Honestly, I don't know what sort of superior Disco/New-Wave technology the world possessed in the 70s and 80s, but the t-shirt fabric from that bygone era blows today's fabrics out of the water. It is just so light and thin and stretchy and comfy, I love it. Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that some guy had 20 years to break a shirt in before he donated it to DI. Either way, the feel is unbeatable.

2 - The awesome designs. Simple and classy with retro colors. Oh yeah...



3 - The price. I can go to DI/Savers/Salvation Army and get a few t-shirts without breaking the bank. As a college student, I like that. The thought of paying retail for a shirt makes me shiver.

4 - The fun factor. Shopping at DI is fun. It's like all the yard sales in town condensed into one convenient location. Or rooting through the closet of a thousand collective parents. Or sifting through the dump without the smell and decomposables. The fact that there are lots of ugly clothes make finding the diamond in the rough even more satisfying. Plus, if you do find a sweet shirt, odds are you will be the only person in the world, I dare say the universe, that is sporting it. You'll be the cat's pajamas.

5 - Social responsibility. Globalization makes it cheaper to buy more clothes. Unfortunately, we are shielded from a lot of the actual costs of this consumerism, whether it be the energy used to produce synthetics and ship them here from China, the occupational hazards workers face who make 12 cents an hour, the child labor, the lack of environmental regulations in producing countries, or the 68 pounds of textiles American throw away on average per year. Ever wonder how new jeans get that worn-in, vintage look? This guy sands them:



So in a nutshell, save this kid a lashing and buy a vintage t-shirt.



-Dennen

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome site!! Too bad there aren't girl t-shirts at this site...

Michelle said...

I swear you and Trey are practically the same person! He LOVES thrift store shopping. I love the randomness, and thanks for the link to the sweet store, Trey will be so pleased. PS You guys are officially on our cool people blog list! Keep those random/funny posts a comin!

MSmith said...

A tailored dress shirt costs $1.25 to produce in a third-world country...sad. Love your insight,
MomSmith

Christine said...

TAG you're it! see my latest post for info.

I love your blog!! You guys are great!

Trey said...

it's nice to see that you truly understand all the good things about used/vintage clothes. I taught someone who worked in a levis sweatshop...story time with her was always an eye opener. Good to see you at pie night. I'm still waiting for the call to scale the "fly"

Anonymous said...

AMEN -megan