Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Cooking 101

I have been spoiled. Since we've been married Dennen has done the majority of the cooking. Really. I'll tell you some reasons why I so graciously let Dennen do the cooking: 1 - He's a great cook, 2 - He finds it relaxing whereas I find it more of a chore, 3 - I would rather be doing other activities with my spare time, 4 - I feel pampered, 5 - it's annoying when I have to go to the store for an ingredient I don't have, 6 - I will have to cook for the majority of our lives together, 7 - I don't have to chop up produce (I absolutely HATE doing this).

All of that said, this doesn't mean that I don't want to cook someday. Often times I daydream that I am an amazing cook/chef. This can only happen if we have all the expensive kitchen gadgets and nice tools, so you probably won't see me on the food channel any time soon...

Dennen has been really busy with school so I decided to pony-up and cook today. I'll give you a run down of what took place.

First, I started by cutting up the onions for the dish I was making. Dennen always wears ski goggles when he cuts onions. I think this is silly, so I decided I would be tough and just bare it. Mistake number 1. I don't think my eyes have ever watered worse than they did today, EVER! It is insane that onions do this to our eyes. "Maybe I should put on those ski goggles," I thought as I was halfway through one onion. But no, I just continued to blink back the massive amounts of water pouring out of my eyes until I was done chopping.

I guess other people wear ski goggles too.


We get a CSA share every week and received some mysterious looking peppers so I decided to cut some of those up. After I had chopped one I put my tongue to one of the seeds and it instantly caught my tongue on fire! I abandoned the mystery peppers but forgot that the fiery residue remained on my hands. Mistake number 2 (the worse of the two). My lower eyelid had an itch and I must have had one of the seeds from the pepper stuck to my finger because it flung into my eyeball as I scratched my eyelid. Let me just say that I thought I was going to be blind!!! I rushed into the bathroom as my eyeball started to melt away. Obviously I wasn't thinking clearly because I started to wash my face and eyeballs with my tainted hands. Need I say more? This was a pepper straight from HELL!!! What seemed like hours later the burning subsided. I scrubbed and scrubbed my hands. I thought all of the pepper residue was gone, not so. I then scratched my nose. My poor mucous membranes...

Maybe it's a good thing I don't have my own cooking show. On the other hand, it could be pretty funny.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Somehow I don't check your blog for a week and there are an amazing 3 posts! How does that happen? I love your place, I went back and watched the "too short" blog post and I know that Dennen probalby loves the new place because his head doesn't bang into stuff. Love you both,
Auntie D

Kari said...

I'm pretty sure I've worn goggles before while chopping onions. I swear I'm extra sensitive to them. I hate it!

Marissa Jeanette said...

I thought I was the only one who does that... it really helps! Sad I cant believe that about the pepper that sucks! I hope your face feels better:)

Rissa and Jared said...

hilarious. never heard of using ski goggles, but i've never had much of a problem with onions. whatever works!

Anonymous said...

You can actually buy "onion cutting" goggles at specialty cooking stores....just ski goggles with a big price tag.
Mom

Rachel Murray said...

We did 3 batches of salsa last week and Scott had to leave the house while I cut the onions because he was blinded. We never thought of ski goggles, good thinking. My eye hurt just reading about the pepper juices in it. OUCH!!

Anonymous said...

Try washing/cutting them under water. It works for me.
G-Jane

Kim said...

I've heard if you burn a candle right by where you're cooking the onion doesn't get to you as bad. I don't know, I barely ever cook either. That post was hilarious though!

Birrell Family said...

Oh be careful of those real hot peppers! Once the oils reach your skin, it's too late. Keep some disposable gloves on hand or your Grandma's idea under water. Love the story!