|Hils workin on the train in Skagway. I really like this picture.|
Well, I'm a little behind. Hils b-day was a few days ago and it is hard to do a secret post when you live together. But today she is skiing and Finn is snoozing so conditions are perfect. Anyway, one of the reasons I love my wife so much is because she has gumption. She does a lot of things that I would either never do or procrastinate doing for long periods of time.
–noun Informal .
initiative; aggressiveness; resourcefulness: With his gumption he'll make a success of himself.
courage; spunk; guts: It takes gumption to quit a high-paying job.
common sense; shrewdness.
|How our place would look if it was left to me...|
|What happens when Hils goes to work...|
- When we moved into an apartment that had purple walls, it was painted within 48 hours. If not for Hils, our living situation would probably resemble a dorm room.
- She's tough. She rarely naps (and calls me a "sissified tweety-bird" when I do) and has seemingly endless energy.
- She never procrastinates. When she wants to do or learn something, it happens immediately. Lately, she's learning how to re-upholster furniture. You've probably already noticed how often she updates the blog. She's also the one that puts up recent pictures on Facebook. I think I only have one photo album on my Facebook page and she was the one who uploaded it for me.
- She's surprisingly strong for her size. When she gets wound up and comes after me, I get nervous.
- She likes to shovel snow. She'll even chip off all the ice, regardless of how long it takes. The winter after I got back from my LDS mission, a friend and I shoveled snow off of cabin decks around Sundance to make a few extra bucks. Hils came up once to help and this guy was watching her shovel from inside the cabin. He came out and complimented Hils on her shoveling prowess. He was amazed that such a little lady could shovel so hard. He even gave us Cokes (would've preferred hot chocolate, but oh well...) because of how hard we (Hils) were working. It was just one more sign that I had found a good woman.
- On top of everything else, she is a good hearted and genuinely concerned about the needs of others. She is giving, as those who have been recipients of her workmanship can attest. She is always thinking about how to be a better person and is the best mother in the world.