Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial day

Yesterday we were able to visit another beach close by called Ferry Beach. Finn is getting more daring and venturing out to the water. He used to be afraid of the waves, but kind of likes them now. We love it here! There is a lot to do (especially when it comes to the outdoors) and it really is so beautiful!



I'm not gonna lie though... I already miss the Utah mountains like crazy. There are the White Mountains, which are somewhat close by (about an hour and a half drive). What I mainly miss though, is just their presence. Looking out my window and not seeing a towering mountain range that is about a 5 minute drive from my home is something that will be hard to get used to.

On Memorial Day, we also visited a cemetery close to our place called Evergreen Cemetery (apparently it's kind of famous). It has grave markers from the 1800's and is a really neat cemetery to walk around. I decided I wanted to start a tradition that my cousin's had while growing up. They lived in Washington, but most of their close relatives were buried in Utah. Each Memorial Day they would go and put flowers on a random person's grave. Since we won't be in Utah to visit Rowan's grave for awhile, we found a grave marker of a little girl that was stillborn as well, and put some flowers on her grave.

Evergreen Cemetery

Finn putting flowers on the baby girl's grave























                              
                                    We also saw this grave marker while we were there... They must have really liked Star Wars. 

We had so many friends and family visit Rowan's grave for us over the Memorial Day weekend. We felt so much love even though we are 3,000 miles away! Here is a picture of her grave and all of the decorations people put on it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Dennen had his first day of orientation today! He has one more tomorrow and then starts into the thick of things on Thursday. I'm kind of nervous for how intense it's going to be. Although he's not in med school, people have said that it is very similar in the sense that you don't see each other much. Boo. Dennen is my best friend! I'm sad that I won't see much of him these next 2 years. Don't get me wrong, I am excited to meet new people and make life long friends. It's just getting out of my comfort zone that is gonna be tough.

2 comments:

Dan+Alli said...

Maine looks like a blast!! So glad you guys made it safe and are settling in.

Anonymous said...

Loved the pictures!!! I am glad you like Maine.
g-jane